SR - Heraldry & Names

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 3 00:21:02 PDT 1998

>Pendaran queried...
>>	Since people are wanting to start discussing things dealing with
>>a possible principality on the net again, I have a topic. We've
>>discussed names and to a degree, heraldry, but what about colors?
>>Ansteorra's colors are black and gold. What colors would you choose for
>>a principality? Just curious...

and Sir Kief opined (in order of currency value ;-> )
>1. Vert and Argent
>2. Gules and Or
>3. Sable and Argent
>
>...just my dos centavos...

Well, outside of the obvious choice for color combinations (purple & gold,
of course), my first vote would go to red & gold.

As for heraldry, it's funny, but I had earlier this evening thought about
the same thing Isobel mentioned, what with the red background, gold lion,
and black star over the lion's heart, then I immediately questioned the
wisdom of having a black-hearted lion as our symbol! ;-> Of course, you
could have the star coloured red, or, like Isobel also suggested, have the
lion holding the star. With a red background, I imagine the laurel wreath
would be gold as well. What position would we want the lion in?

Then there's also the suggestion that was mentioned a while back, of having
a lion's head erased, with a crown in chief.  If you guys would like, I
could draw up heraldry suggestions, scan them, convert them to jpegs, and
Pug could put them up on our page so folks could see them. Could we do
that, Pug, or am I overstepping some bounds?

Isobel, and someone else, I believe, also mentioned Cour de Leon for a
name. That one got shot down because it means Lionheart, as in Richard the.

However, the name that I keep coming back to is Campoleon (meaning Lion
Field). It rolls off the tongue most wonderfully, and appropriately
addresses not only our savannah-like terrain <g>, but the fact that we are
home to a most impressive pride of Lions. I like it lots. How about it,
Daniel? How does Campoleon look for conflicts?

Aquilanne