SR - Heraldry & Names

Zimmermann, Leonard zimmerml at kci1.com
Wed Jun 3 08:27:05 PDT 1998

	Well I guess I'll toss in a few votes...

	For Colors: Or & Gules (Gold & Red) or Argent & Gules (Silver
and Red)
	For Name: Campoleon (Field of the Lion)
	For Heraldry: I think I like the idea of a Lion Rampant Guardant
(look at the white Lion supporter on the left at
http://www.ansteorra.org/ to see what that looks like, as it is
basically a lion rearing but looking out, face forward, from the
shield.) What I think would be neat would be to have some from of semy
of stars (mullets, actually) either as a background or on the lion
itself. So you could have a gold or white lion covered in a field of
black stars on a red background, or a gold or white background covered
with black stars and a red lion. The lion holding the star is also a
nice idea.

	As for cultural similarities: I'm trying to compile a good list
of these. In fact how about we compile a list of some of the cultural
ideals we'd like to hold up and celebrate in a Principality (no matter
who the groups are, SR or not). So far no one has gainsaid the idea that
we are in favor of good persona play.

	How about these for some others:
	We tend to fight, at least in the Rapier community, with an
emphasis on finesse and skill over strength of blow. (We tend to call
things kinda light, in my experience. Not good, not bad, just
different.) I see SOME of that on the Armored Field (I'm loath to call
it Chivalric, since I know at least as many Rapier fighters who are just
as Chivalric as any Knight I know), but I have not gotten fully
integrated into that community well enough yet to know if there is a
tendency towards that or what the tendencies/commonalties in fighting
philosophies are. Any thoughts?

	We appreciate "period style" events. (i.e. Those that have some
basis in research on a period style and are not a "cookie-cutter"
format.)

	We appreciate our diversity. (Not completely certain how true
that is elsewhere, but Bjornsborg tends to be highly individualistic.
That's not to say we don't play well together, in fact we barely have
households here as we consider the Barony itself to be like a Household,
we just pride ourselves in being individuals. Maybe it's that
Viking/Early Celt mentality so prevalent here. :-))

	We believe that authenticity=fun. Our ancestors were certainly
as irreverent as we are, so there's no reason to believe that being
authentic means you have to be too stuffy to be any fun!

	I'll try to think of more later. So how far off-base am I here?
Any more you folks want to add?

	Honos Servio,
	Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
	(Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)