SR - Heraldry & Names

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jun 4 19:47:01 PDT 1998

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Dennis and Dory Grace
<amazing at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> BTW, Daniel, what do you have so far on Campoleon or Campleone?

I had a sudden Fit of the Blazingly Obvious and checked an
atlas.  Campoleone is 15 miles south of Rome.  My only
periodish source, Blaeu's Grand Atlas, didn't show it in
1640 (though Castel Gandolfo, Gandalf's Castle, is there,
just north).  Felice's _Dizionario dei cognomi italiani_
doesn't have it, but has other Campo- names.  (The atlas has
others too, including Campoleone Scalo, again from what date
I don't know.)

I'll go the SCA Heralds' well again.

Daniel de Lincolia
--