SR - Raven's Fort meeting

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 5 13:18:18 PDT 1998

Timo wrote:
>We talked extensivly about the formation of the committe and it's purpose.
>
>Some ideas were........
>
>In the "requirement" for being a committee member- Having 5 yrs of SCA
>experience was brought up, along with mandatory email (which was shot down
>pretty quick). 3yrs instead of 5 was also suggested.
>
>In the "Makeup" section we voted on.... (only positive votes- can vote for
>more than one)
>
>1 member from each group----- 8
>3 member 'overview"----------- 0 (none)
>
>and added one,  having 1 member from each group, *with*a 2-3 member "cap"
>such as the regional seneschal & head mediator------ 9

Eeerrrggkkk.

I'd really like to stress the importance of defining *needs* before
attempting to define any other parameters for this committee thing.
Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for difficulties.

In regards to the "one person from each group" idea: each group has widely
varying numbers of members and member demographics. Let's not get bogged
down here at the start by the simple process of allowing people to do what
they do best. If needs are met by 3 people from Bryn Gwlad and 1 from
Tempio and 2 from Bjornsborg, so what? Do we distrust each other so much
that we feel we need a watchdog from each group to keep a finger in the
pie? I don't think so. I know that the "one person from each group" idea is
meant with an eye to "fairness", and if we were forming a governmental
entity, I would agree with that approach. However, all that's forming at
this point is a group of people willing and suited to do some work--some
research and compilation and dissemination.

I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of trying to impose the
constictions of un-natural structure on what should evolve naturally. Did
anyone at your meeting have problems of any kind with the people who are
already working on various projects? If not, I think the most productive
expenditure of energy by concerned and interested folk would be to either
approach the folk who have taken on projects and offer to help them, or to
work on defining needs that haven't been addressed yet. I really don't see
a need to try to force this into some kind of beaurocratic structure.
Despite all the work and time involved in doing something like this, it
should  remain fun for those involved.

Just a short example of how I think loose structure can be the most
effective way to move through a group's needs. Here in Bryn Gwlad, I and
Mst. Elyramere, another scribal-type laurel who has since moved away, both
approached Jehanne on separate occassions and expressed a desire to
re-animate the scribe's guild. Jehanne directed us to talk to each other
and decide who would be head of the scribes guild. Well, Elyramere and I
got together, and being of like mind, decided to put both our phone numbers
in the It Cometh as contact numbers and simply eschew the idea of "guild
head", both of us being more interested instead in just engendering
interest and participation. Recently, we split up responsibilities between
Ari, Sibilla, and myself to reflect our own areas of interest.
Result--everyone is happier, more needs are being addressed, and more work
is likely to get done than if we were concerned with developing some kind
of beaurocratic structure. See what I mean?

Aquilanne