SR - Principetulance and Principali-Tea

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jun 10 19:44:08 PDT 1998

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Laury Torrence
<J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I'm glad you've gotten a positive response, I rather think
> that a tea is a very civilized way to have discussions...

Quite so.  Jolly good notion, eh what?

I just checked the OED.  Their first citations for "tea" or
"tay" in English in our period are around 1650 (tho' they
have one for "cha" in 1599).  For the "meal" definition
"tea", their first citation is 1738.  Can anyone think of a
concise period term for "sitting around in the afternoon
nibbling on little things and drinking little things and
chatting"?  Aside from "My lord of Norfolk, would you care
to come to my chambers with a few others to chat, and eat
and drink a bit"?  I *presume* they did something vaguely
similar ...

I am NOT criticizing Dietrich's tea, nor am I suggesting
that he call it anything else.  I'd just like to learn a bit
more.

> Here's to the Principali-Tea!
        *OW*!

Daniel de Lincolia