SR - newsletters and regional funds

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Jun 15 08:12:03 PDT 1998

Dennis and Dory Grace said something that sounded like:
> So. I was thinking (aaarrrggghhhh! hit the deck!)--

Don't do that. You know it'll get you in trouble.

> I know that Baroness
> Crystal is regional chronicler, but I don't know what her desktop
> publishing capabilities are. (Does anyone know? Is she on line?)

I don't think she is on-line.

Getting desktop publishing done is easy though with the number of people
around here who can do it. I know I'm willing and interested. I know
Theodric is interested. There are probably others.

> As
> for funding, first off let me congratulate Mirrim for stepping up to the
> regional treasurer's office (when's that happening, anyway?).

After she gets her application in probably.

*nudges Mirrim*

> So, Mirrim, what do we need to do to get an account started?

As *I* understand it, since Regions are not entities within the SCA,
they are not allowed to officially have back accounts. This means it
would be maintained within the Kingdom account for the Region.

Otherwise it'd a personal account, which would be very bad IMHO.

> Once we have
> an account, I was thinking that each group could make a donation to the
> account based on the number of local populace members of, say, $1 per
> active member.

This is a big problem. How do *you* count active members? How do *I*
count active members? How does everyone else?

If you are talking about just the paid members, this is not the way to
count it since there are a lot of members who live together and would
only get one subscription. If if you use this as a "benchmark" to guess
how many would subscribe, it's not that accurate since of the ~108
members in Bryn Gwlad, we only had ~75 paid subcriptions while I was
Chronciler. Other groups may have completely different percentages.

Any other number would be simply grabbing numbers out of thin air.

As for costs, the Bryn Gwlad newsletter costs the subscribers $8 a year
for monthly issues. This cost only covers *shipping*.

Subscriptions to a regional newsletter will be very shakey in the
beginning until people know what is going to be in it. (Except for those
die-hard Principality folks.) I for one don't want to subscribe
to something that I could have gotten all of the same information from
the BlackStar. On the other hand, if we have articles from members of
the populace on different things they are interested in, that would
be different.

As well, I doubt there are groups who would be willing to front money
before knowing if there is going to be a Principality or not.

> As our regional events start coming together, donations from event profits
> can be donated to the regional account and we can start growing our bank
> account with an eye to having money to pay for stuff like regalia projects
> when/if we go principality.

If you are talking about the regional events, than those hosting it can
agree to give a percentage to the regional account. I think this is a
little questionable regarding Kingdom Law though. There have been stinks
raised in the past with regards to requiring donations for the
Kingdom/Society. Not to mention those people who think we should aim for
break even and not to make a profit.

Blah.

Ciao,