SR - newsletters and regional funds

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 16 11:11:53 PDT 1998

and Pug said:
>This is a big problem. How do *you* count active members? How do *I*
>count active members? How does everyone else?
>
>If you are talking about just the paid members, this is not the way to
>count it since there are a lot of members who live together and would
>only get one subscription. If if you use this as a "benchmark" to guess
>how many would subscribe, it's not that accurate since of the ~108
>members in Bryn Gwlad, we only had ~75 paid subcriptions while I was
>Chronciler. Other groups may have completely different percentages.
>
>Any other number would be simply grabbing numbers out of thin air.

Well, since you don't offer any alternative methods of determining a rule
of thumb for how much to ask each group for, it just sounds like you're
just setting the suggestion down as one of those impossible things. Maybe
I'm just being ridiculous, but I had this silly notion that coming up with
a couple hundred dollars or so between the seven groups and 200 to 300
people in the region for launching a newletter wouldn't be such a big hairy
deal.

I'm going to vent for *just* a second here, at no one in particular. Do you
guys suppose that instead of automatically chaneling energy into naysaying
and shooting down ideas as they're tossed out that maybe a little thought
might be given to how some things might actually be *done*? This newsletter
for example. Everybody keeps making noises about how we need to communicate
and how everyone needs to be in on everything that's going on. But as soon
as someone proposes ways to implement those things (Dieter and his tea,
Timo and the FAQ, me and the newsletter), someone always pops up with some
objections. How's about we temper our concerns with some creative thought?
It's easy to say, "I see problems with that." I want to see that followed
up with "Maybe this approach might be better."

>As for costs, the Bryn Gwlad newsletter costs the subscribers $8 a year
>for monthly issues. This cost only covers *shipping*.

I was only tossing out some *very* rough preliminary figures with an eye to
getting a copy of the first newsletter out to all paid members. Also, we'd
need to decide whether we'd want it put out monthly or bi-montly or quarterly.

>Subscriptions to a regional newsletter will be very shakey in the
>beginning until people know what is going to be in it. (Except for those
>die-hard Principality folks.) I for one don't want to subscribe
>to something that I could have gotten all of the same information from
>the BlackStar. On the other hand, if we have articles from members of
>the populace on different things they are interested in, that would
>be different.

and Daniel adds:
>>I agree with Pug's concern about what it would contain.  FAQ? Summaries
of net discussion?  Suggestions for how to think of a name/armory?  Meeting
reports?<<

I think it's a good idea for all paid members to get one to begin with: so
people can see what they'd be getting. I wouldn't expect everyone who got
the first one to subscribe even then. But no, I don't think we should
duplicate anything that's in the BlackStar (off-hand, anyway; I might be
missing something). I think the regional newsletter should contain a
calendar of events that includes regional events that may or may not get
into the BlackStar, as well as articles/ads for regional events. I'd also
like to see the smaller, local events listed as well, like Bryn Gwlad's
Tiny Tourneys, so we have a good picture of what's going on. And yes,
articles from folks, notes from principality meetings, updates on name and
heraldry stuff, all that. That would also save us from having to put out
duplicate, updated FAQ's. The FAQ could  be part of the first issue instead
of being a separate thing. After the first issue, anyone interested enough
in keeping up with what's going on can help foot the bill for deseminating
the info.

>As well, I doubt there are groups who would be willing to front money
>before knowing if there is going to be a Principality or not.

I think we've got more than enough going on right now as a region to
support putting out a small newsletter. I've certainly heard enough
interest in the idea (of a newsletter). We've got regional events in the
planning and projects in the planning that we need to advertise and info to
get out to people. Academy of the Courtier is in the planning, so is a
regional A&S, as is a regional championship tourney. Stuff like this is
more than worth keeping everyone up with.

>If you are talking about the regional events, then those hosting it can
>agree to give a percentage to the regional account.

Yep. That's one way it's done the known world over.

>I think this is a
>little questionable regarding Kingdom Law though. There have been stinks
>raised in the past with regards to requiring donations for the
>Kingdom/Society.

As Daniel pointed out, you can't require donations. You can make
suggestions and each group/individual donates whatever they decide to donate.

>Not to mention those people who think we should aim for
>break even and not to make a profit.

Don't even go there. Those people who think we should aim for break even
and not to make a profit don't understand the mechanics of running a group.
Period. Try and blast me if you want to, but profits are what pays for
event front money, buffer money in case an event loses money, group
pavilions that everybody gets to use, waterbearers equipment, feast
equipment that's used to prepare food for every person that eats a feast,
etc etc etc; all the stuff that groups use all the time that we all derive
benefit from, and that can be a *huge* range of stuff (just ask anyone who
was at our last business meeting <g>).

Do me a favor, though. If anyone wants to argue the profit issue point,
please change the subject line.  ;->

Aquilanne
wading through wet coffee grounds....