SR - newsletters and regional funds

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 16 14:38:45 PDT 1998

Pug Bainter wrote:

> Is *planning* for a profit requiring a donation?
>
> "Oh our break-even for 200 people is $5 each, so we'll set the cost at
>  $7 so we can cover the regional newsletter."
>
> Real grey area in my opinion.

Maybe, maybe not.  Don't quote me on this, better check with the Kingdom
Treasurer, but as I have always understood the break even cost for an
event is not where you have to set the price.  But rather..figure what
is a "reasonable price" for the service.  What if you planned to charge
your five dollars a head for 200 people, went out and spent the money on
a site and all of the things necessary for the event, then only 100
people showed up?  Of course this can happen no matter how well you
plan, but charging a small margin over the cost to offset possible
problems is in no way asking for a donation.  You are giving something
in return for the money.  Whether you got your moneys worth is a
different question. ;)  Now, increasing your price _specifically_ to
cover something like a regional newsletter; I don't know. You are
certainly allowed to factor in expected cost for the future. "Ya know..
the baronial thrones are lookin' kinda shabby, we better hold some
spiffy events and build up our bank account so we can replace them soon"
is, I believe, a perfectly acceptable practise.  Could it be equally
acceptable to say "we should build our account because we will have to
support the regional newsletter?"  Once you have charged the fee at the
gate, the money belongs to the group, so I would say so does the
decision......

Graf Galen Kirchenbauer.....a not so innocent bystander to these
proceedings...
--
Galen W. or Rebecca Bevel
galenbv at ix.netcom.com