SR - principality reasoning

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 22 22:54:20 PDT 1998

Aquilanne here.

Gillie wrote:
>When I ask who is going to make the insignia and do the scrolls, I do so
>after turning in to the Crown at Kings College 53 award insignia (that was
>the second batch for a total of 77 this reign).  I did it because I wanted
>to.  And because the Crown asked for help.  If people were sending in the
>insignia the cries for help would not be necessary.   I usualy do not give
>very many insignia to the Crown that has Gulf War because of making war
>arrows; to the other it's usually 100+.

When you said "insignia," I assumed you were talking about designing the
heraldry for whatever awards we might develop (gotta say here I lean quite
a bit toward some of Daniel de Lincoln's ideas), I didn't realize you were
talking about the physical *token* frequently given out. Fifty three you
say? That's quite a few. You're to be commended for your service. If we
make a principality and decide to design insignia to give out, I'd hope
you'd choose to support the principality in a like manner. Either way, I'd
wager that our region holds at least a few more such giving folk who'd be
willing to contribute their time and effort in support of the various needs
of a principality.

Do we want to make a list of folks willing to do all the various jobs in
support of a Principality? Or would that incite a few folks to jump up and
cry "too fast!! You're moving too fast!"??? Perhaps it's something we could
address in the first issue of our newsletter.

>I can tell you one thing, the folks who come up with the insignia design do
>not always think about the poor folks who have to make them.  Make 4 or 500
>Comets, Cranes, Thistles, Rising Stars and Compass Rosses then with a
>straight face tell me they had you in mind when they designed it.

I, for one, would be happy to help design any insignia we'd need, and, in
case you don't know, I've done my share of setting pen and brush to paper
and tool to wax and clay, so I'm very aware of the 'end-user' implications
of any insignia design. I'm also by no means the only artist in this region
experienced in these media.

>The work doesn't always take care of itself.  If it did there would be no
>need for autocrates, seneschals or any other supervisory position.

You misread my meaning. My meaning is that there already exists a strong
force of workers and players more than willing to do the work. At this
point, there have already been a healthy handful of folk step forward and
volunteer to do stuff ranging from researching law to working on FAQs and a
newsletter to autocratting regional events (speaking of which, we need to
get together ;->).  You see, there *are* autocrats and seneschals and other
supervisory positions filled all the time. *That's* what I mean.

>Ever see
>someone get an award  and see the Crown appolgise for not having an insignia
>to give them?  Or How about the first of an award not get the scroll for the
>award because it wasn't made yet(been there and still don't have it).

Yes I have, and I've yet to see *any* award recipient go "What?!? No
medallion?! No scroll?! Well, damn!! Now I'm offended!!" (I'm sorry, I
can't help but laugh out loud as I write this, picuring such a sight.
*grin*) As nice as such things are, that's not what the lifeblood of a
Principality is all about. (You know, I've even heard of Principalities,
Baronies even, actually *buying* insignia tokens/medallions. Concept? Of
course, it depends on whether there's anything out there appropriate to the
award.)

>The best reason I can think of for doing a principality is so that it could
>become a Kingdom  and correct the lack of award structure we have.  We can
>talk more about this.

I think the best reason for making a principality is because folk want to
make a principality for its own sake, with all the attendant reasons and
benefits.

>Some one has to think about the logistics of this thing and not just hope it
>will work out for the best.

Hon, folks have been talking about the logistics for quite some time now.
>From the 'welcome to the list' note someone directed at you earlier, I'm
assuming you're new to this list. We've been discussing logistics here
quite a bit. I don't know if you made it to either of the principality
discussion meetings, but logistics have been discussed there quite a bit as
well. Logistics have been being discussed in local business meetings and
casually at all manner of events and fighter practices. I think it's
marvelous and commendable that you're so concerned; I just want to reassure
you that you're not the only person with a concern for logistics.

Thanks for your input. Communication is a good thing.

Aquilanne