SR - A Question Concerni

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 23 14:34:16 PDT 1998

Aquilanne here.

Meadhbh wrote:
>On to your question as to 'why' I don't want a principality. I guess I just
>don't see a need for it.

Since when has *need* been a prerequisite for doing something in the SCA?
Or, for that matter, even *doing* SCA?  LOL ;->  Shoot, Maddie, do you guys
*need* that big ol' house of yours? I imagine just the two of you could get
by just fine in an apartment or a smaller house. Why did you choose it?
Because you *wanted* to, that why! Because it's a nice place and you like
the space! Also, hey, you guys don't *need* to eat out at La Madelaine, now
do you?  Especially with as good a cook as you are! ;-> You eat there
because you *want* to, because you enjoy a nice meal outside the house,
because it's *fun* isn't it? It's not much fun limiting yourself or your
options and opportunities based just on *necessity*, is it? We're not
talking about necessities when we talk about a principality, either.

>For FUN?  I guess I just don't see it.

OK. So working on a Principality isn't your idea of fun. That's ok. There's
a bunch of folk that *do* think that it sounds like fun. Why begrudge them
just because it isn't your cup of tea?

>Why can't we work on making the events we have better?? I find it sad
>that we have to use a principality as an excuse for 'better events', more
>pomp...etc. Why can't we just improve the events and courts we have???

Gee, I don't know. Why hasn't anyone done any of this before? Why are the
same concerns being brought up that were brought up years ago?

>I don't think we need an additional prince and princess to do it.

"Need"? Perhaps not. But based on the fact that this stuff hasn't happened
in the past could suggest that it a prince and a princess and a coronet
list and an investiture and all the new heraldry and regalia and etc etc
etc *could* very well inspire more than what's been going on up to now.

>Also, anytime you set a border on a map... you create an invisible boundary.
>How many
>people here that live in Stargate/Bordermarche have traveled to Meridies for
>events other than Gulf War?  I'm sure there are some. But, most people
will stay
>within kingdom.

So will anyone in an Ansteorran principality.

>And yes, last.... I wish to stay Ansteorran.I like being Ansteorran. No
one can
>guarentee that once the principality is set that it won't go
kingdom....and yes,
>i know there are 2 that never have.... and then how many HAVE moved on????
 Many
>more than just 2!

Well, I like being Ansteorran, too. I like the immense and impressive pool
of talent avialable in the circles and such. And you're absolutely right.
There is no guarantee that a principality wouldn't some day go kingdom.
However, even if the principality *did* ever decide to go kingdom, it
wouldn't be for years and years. I'd be willing to make a $100
double-or-nothing bet with *anyone* that no such thing would happen in less
than a decade, if ever. You have no idea what might have happened by then.
*You* might even be the lone gunman trying to drum up support for going
kingdom while most of the rest of us are content with our principality. You
never know. I guess I'm just wondering how important is it to give in to
fear and elect to not change anything and flirt with stagnation as opposed
to having the heart to move ahead and take actions that will benefit the
region as a whole. Just think about that. A lot of the recent activity has
been in response to principality idea. People are excited and inspired by
it. I suppose we could just nix all the excitement and inspiration and go
back to the slower pace we were at before, but is that what's best for the
region?

Aquilanne