SR - A Question Concerni

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Wed Jun 24 10:01:15 PDT 1998

Dennis and Dory Grace wrote:

> Aquilanne here.
>

> Since when has *need* been a prerequisite for doing something in the SCA?

There is a prerequisite when one wants to change the borders of a
kingdom/principality. A need arises to do so.. this is not done on one person's
whim...As for the principality, i don't think it is needed and I personally don't
want it at this time.
My reasons have been stated over and over.... as have your reasons to want it. I
just haven't heard anything compelling enough to do it. That again, is my
opinion. And I do have a right to it!

> Or, for that matter, even *doing* SCA?  LOL ;->  Shoot, Maddie, do you guys
> *need* that big ol' house of yours? I imagine just the two of you could get
> by just fine in an apartment or a smaller house. Why did you choose it?

Personally, my choice of house or restaurant doesn't have any bearing on 325_
people in this region but a principality does.

> it's not much fun limiting yourself or your
> options and opportunities based just on *necessity*, is it? We're not
> talking about necessities when we talk about a principality, either.

Sorry, this is where i disagree. What I do for fun is one thing. To me, a
principality comes about to fill a need, either one due to isolation (which is
the case for ansteorra's quick rise to kingdom status) or growth in a region that
has started to act more like a principality (see Nordsteorra for an expample of
that region).  Do I think the principality fills that 'need'?  IMHO, no it does
not.

> Well, I like being Ansteorran, too. I like the immense and impressive pool
> of talent avialable in the circles and such. And you're absolutely right.
> . You have no idea what might have happened by then.
> *You* might even be the lone gunman trying to drum up support for going
> kingdom while most of the rest of us are content with our principality.

Very doubtful of that one.

meadhbh