SR - A Question Concern

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Jun 23 23:28:35 PDT 1998

Gilli wrote:
>the same questions should be asked every time on the poll.  Any one can play
>numbers games.  I've seen them before and I DON'T LIKE THEM.

Timo wrote:
] Are you accusing Don Tivar of messing with the numbers????

Pray be calm, good gentles all.

I suspect HL Gilli wants to suggest that straw polls (or real ones!)
are often not well-done, if for no other reason that methodological
problems -- questions that should be worded better, for example,
or that should be consistent.

The straw polls so far are just informal "trial balloons" to
see if there's support for looking further.  While they
have all the problems of the sort -- methodological errors,
"self-selecting survey" effects, "group think", et cetera --
there is enough support in the polls so far to pursue the notion further.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.