SR - Re: Insignia

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Jun 28 15:28:55 PDT 1998

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Bob Dewart <gilli at seacove.net> wrote:
> It's not the names of the awards that has my attention.  What will
> they look like?

I like the suggestion of the Order of the Thorn.  In south Texas with
a pair of good gauntlets and gardening shears, you can have all the
regalia you want in a couple of hours ...  On the other hand, I think
"A thorn [tincture]" isn't a registerable badge.  It could be a thorn,
or a fang, or a pile couped, or a lot of other things -- hence
unrecognizable.  Nevertheless, a thorn-shaped thing could be given.

> Will it be possible to make them in multi medium or will they only
> be cord?

Does anyone have information on period tokens of membership other than
danglies?  The only token I remember seeing is a gold necklace with a
small golden fleece on it, for the Golden Fleece (natch).  That's a
spiffy dangly, but a dangly nonetheless.  Ansteorra is imaginative
with having garters and scarves for a few awards.  Anything else?  A
brooch?  A hat?  A pterodactyl?  (Sorry.  Too many viewings of
_Airplane!_.)

Daniel "To the tower!  Rapunzel!  Rapunzel!" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.