SR - Principality law question -Reply

Norman White gn-white at tamu.edu
Wed Oct 21 11:55:50 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang here,

I have been reading the discussions over investing the prince and princess for the proposed principality.  The arguments have been:
Lyonel:
>> Do we really need heirs apparent?  Do we really need the hassle of an investiture?  What's wrong with investing the new Prince and Princess the evening of Coronet List?
and
Pug, etc.
>In my opinion it <waiting for the investiture> is a good idea. Although they will have the previous Prince/ess to draw upon for knowledge, there will be those people who didn't really think they would win so never paid attention to what their actual duties are, didn't really know what they were getting into, etc.  While we will have those who know how to behave and what their duties are, others will need to be trained. If others do not need to
be trained because it's the same people over and over again, we chose too small of a region to start as a principality.<

To which Lyonel responded:
>Sounds good in theory.  In practice, all I remember the Tanists and Tanistas of Artemisia spending time on was preparing for investiture--selecting a site, arranging entourage, making new garb, etc.  <

It has been unusual in these discussions for me to agree with Lyonel but I do here.  If the person who wins the list has not been planning on it, he will probably spend his time finding people to make him new garb, etc.  If (s)he was the type of person who would enter so important a list without thinking about the responsibilities involved should (s)he win it, (s)he probably would not listen to the advise of those more knowledgeable once in the
office but would instead be only using the time to do things having only to do with appearance rather than actual substance.

Jin Liu Ch'ang
a.k.a. Norman White
gn-white at tamu.edu