SR - Principality law question

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Oct 21 20:38:14 PDT 1998

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Dennis and Dory Grace wrote:
> While "Leon" sounds consistent with the French practice of refering
> to its heir apparent as "Dauphin," I'm not quite certain where that
> title originates.

I have no good sources on it, I'm afraid.  I dimly recall reading once
that it originated as a title but later was "cheerfully confused in
the public mind" with dolphins.  From _The Lost Kingdom of Burgundy_,
p. 138: the Dauphin of Viennois in 1337 was Humbert II.  He first
offered to seel an Angevin of Naples the inheritance of the
Dauphin{e'}, but later sold it to Philip VI of France.  Being east of
the Rhone, for some centuries it (like Savoy) was not regarded as a
part of France, says _Louis XI_ by Kendall.

Daniel "'Conditions in France were favourable to Henry [V] since the
French King, being mad, had entrusted the government of the country to
a dolphin and the command of the army to an elderly constable. ...
He then displaced the dolphin as ruler of Anjou, Menjou, Poilou, Main,
Touraine, Againe and Again, and realising that he was now too famous
to live long expired at the ideal moment. ...
5.  "Uneasy lies the head that wears a Throne."
(a) Suggest remedies, or
(b) Imitate the actions of a Tiger.'" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.