SR - poll of paid members

Rochelle Ruhmann rochelle_r at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 11 22:16:49 PDT 1998

Hello.  I'm going to jump in here, even though I no longer live in
Ansteorra, so bear with me...

Bob Dewart wrote:
Greetings,

But, by voting for a name, aren't you getting folks use to
the idea of voting *for* principality?

I think that selecting a name or group of possible names
before the vote to become a principality is premature.

I don't remember,  is having a name a requirment to do the
vote to become a principality?

Now if we were coming up with a name for the *region*, then
IMHO that would be perfectly acceptable to change "Sothern
Region" to ---whatever it happens to be.  Then that much
could already be in the works and possibly even passed by
the college of heralds by the time the vote for principality
comes to pass.

Gilli
gilli at seacove.net

First, I would expect only people who are against the idea
of a principality, or are prone to conspiricy theories, to
think that voting for a _regional_ name will get people
used to voting in favor of a principality.

I think that the impartiality of the polling questions was
mentioned in Ivar's post.  Done correctly, I don't think
that this poll should get people used to anything but
regional unity.  And before you respond that this regional
unity will lead to, or is the same as, a principality, I
ask that you check the numbers of "regions" within the
various kingdoms, when they were first conceived, how many
times they have changed names, and what percentage have
actually become principalities...

The "region" that I currently live in (the Midlands), has,
as far as I can tell, been around for quite some time.
While there has recently been some rumblings about a
a new name and a principality, most people seem perfectly
content with the current unity of the region and its
connection to the Middle Kingdom.

A regional identity, a regional name, its unity and a
principality are not all the same thing.  Granted, one must
happen before the others, but there is no guarantee that
any of the others must follow.  If you believe that people
are or would be confused by this, perhaps some education
is in order.

I think the whole process sounds very exciting and I only
wish I was back in Ansteorra to share in the fun!

Arianwen de Treguier
Shire of Ravenslake,
Middle Kingdom