SR - poll of paid members

Dottie Elliott difirenze at usa.net
Mon Oct 12 14:36:23 PDT 1998

>Ivar's response:
>
>Since we are talking about a name for a region, there is no reason to
>poll the paid members of the SCA to see if they are in favor of forming a
>principality.

Exxxxxccuuuuse me! I didn't realize this was JUST a region name. I
thought we were still pursuing the principality thing.

I have no problem with the region having a name.

>If we have to poll the paid members of  an area in the SCA to find out if
>they are in favor of beginning the process of forming a principality
>before doing anything in that direction, it most likely would be stated
>in Corpora. It is not.

Well now, just because Corpora doesn't require it doesn't mean it
shouldn't be done. Personally, I think before loads of work are done on
forming a principality, a formal poll of the members in that area should
be conducted. If the members are for it then the push is on and you
should get lots of volunteers to help. If the members are not for it,
then folks can put their efforts into other activities. This poll would
not of course force anyone to abandon the idea of principality if they
wished or stop doing the work if they wish. However, it would let all of
us know where we stood on the issue. The informal votes that have been
taken so far are just that - informal. No effort has been made to see who
was voting and whether a different population was participating each
time. The 2 or so meetings I have been at didn't seem to have a
significantly different population from each other.

>While the FINAL vote must be taken from paid members, the results of a
>poll at this time most probably will not reflect the final vote. Many
>people have told me that when we get close to the point where the actual
>vote for or against a principality is taken, they will send in their dues
>and become paid members. While I find this to be unethical, it is
>entirely legal.

If folks are really interested in being members they already are.

I have no problem with the region having a name.
>Clarissa, I get the feeling that you are not in favor of forming a
>principality.

Well now, I haven't actually decided for or against this issue. I simply
want to know where everyone stands so far. A formal polling would do
this.  What WILL DEFINITELY make me against the principality is when
people start sniping at others over a difference of opinion. I personally
think a 'fight' over forming a principality would be detrimental to the
region, the individual groups, and the kingdom. That 'fight' is what I am
opposed to at this time.

>... I see no
>problem if *you* want to conduct a poll of the paid membership in the
>Southern Region.

I would be happy to help with this endeavor. As someone who has been a
seneschal in 3 kingdoms, I am well aware of the amount of work it will
take to conduct the poll and the process involved.

>While most people who read this will think I am being harsh, and perhaps
>even think I am picking on Clarissa, they are not entirely correct. Yes,
>I am being harsh. The purpose of the polling being discussed immediately
>prior to these messages was about a name for the region. There have been
>more than enough discussions about starting the activities needed to form
>a principality. To throw a meaningless formal poll of only paid members
>into the works at this point is counter productive, expensive, and
>opposite the fair dealing with everyone in the region, which has been the
>cornerstone of all of the principality activities to date.

IT is fair to poll the SCA members on the issue of whether setting up a
principality is what they wish. Again, the harshness of your response
smacks of intolerance of another's viewpoint. It is that intolerance I
fear most on this issue. If proponents of the principality cannot truly
accept that others have differing opinions and discuss than rationally
without sniping, you will turn others against the principality as well.

>So, before everyone and their brother jumps on my case, keep in mind all
>of the activities which have taken place in the past months. Do we want
>to throw all of that away and start over?

I see no reason why a formal polling would be starting over. Rather, I
see it as a continuation to see what support is out there on a formal
basis where we can be sure folks are only voting once.  Three pollings of
an unknown group of people, many of which are duplicates, is not a real
good indication of support or opposition.

Clarissa