SR - poll of paid members -Reply

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Oct 13 09:11:27 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang wrote:
> Would not it cause problems if the name for the region was found to
> be unacceptable to the majority as a principality name if and when
> such a move takes place?

I suspect not.  The regional name, if registered, would presumably be
released.  There might be grumbling about changing the name, but I
think <soapbox> there's too much fuss in the SCA about changing names,
either personal or locative.  Names are not engraved in stone.  If you
make a mistake in earlier days or just change your mind, chang eyour
usage.  </soapbox> (Well, there was that award charter Margaret Pierce
carved in a rock -- THAT name is engraved in stone ...)

As for regional heralds' titles and the possible implication that they
might be usable for the region's name: A lot of names that were
registerable and registered in the past are no longer registerable,
because some standards have tightened.  As well, some standards have
loosened: other names are now registerable that weren't before.
Further, heraldic titles aren't necessarily locations (e.g. Garter
King of Arms).  I firmly believe that "Principality of Twilight" would
Not Work At All.  I suspect that "Prin. of Nordsteorra" would have
problems, but not being a name weenie I can't say with any assurance.
Luckily, that's Someone Else's Problem.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;