SR - Swiss Five Tourney in Bryn Gwlad

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Tue Sep 29 08:58:25 PDT 1998

	To all chivalric fighters does Pendaran Glamorgan, Baron of Bryn
Gwlad send glad tidings.

	As you may know, my lady and I will hold a tournament to choose
our new Chivalric Champion this Saturday at our Baronial Fair and
Championships. The tournament shall be a Swiss Five with differing
weapons styles in each round. We have chosen this format for two
reasons; 1) to ensure that everyone gets to fight several times, 2) we
find it greatly entertaining to watch a variety of weapons rather than
always watching sword and shield.

	The rounds will be fought in the following order:

	Round One: Sword and shield or mace and shield (fighter's
choice)
	Round Two: Great swords or bastard swords (fighter's choice)
	Round Three: Florentine (two weapons; can be two swords, ax and
sword, whatever)
	Round Four: Polearm (can be glaives, point only spears,
fighter's choice)
	Round Five: Single sword (in honor of our current champion, Sir
Kief)

	In order to ensure that all fights are fought on equal footing,
great weapons must match. For example, great swords should be fought
against great swords, glaives against glaives, spears against spears. We
would rather not see great swords against bastard swords (for example)
unless both fighters request that it be so.

	If, at the end of the Swiss Five, there are fighters who are
tied with the best record, an elimination round or rounds will be fought
to determine the winner. This round(s) will be fought either as single
or double elimination, depending on time allowances.

	Finally, this will not be a judged tournament. The winner of the
tournament will be the baronial champion. We judged our tournaments last
year and found it almost impossible to pick only one winner from all of
the skilled and honorable fighters!

	My thanks to everyone, as well as my sincere wishes to see all
of you at our Baronial Championships.

	In Faith and Service,
	Pendaran, Bryn Gwlad