SR - big sigh

Eirik eirik at n-link.com
Tue Aug 10 20:58:07 PDT 1999

> Unfortunately, regardless of all of the meetings that were held, with
plenty
> of notice;  all of the dialogue on names;( Including dialogue from a lot
of
> folks who trashed this or that name, but when pressed for an alternative
> suggestion, had none to give. Sigh, it's so easy to criticize rather than
> create.);  all of the hard work by the heralds to research the suggested
> names; all of the work done by the folks who publish the newsletter;  many
> don't seem ready to hear any of it.  Fear of change can be subconcious and
> very powerfull.

Your Excellency,
    I have to say that no matter what, you will never please anyone and
there will always be those people that are negative about this process. I
applaud the hard work and the unbiased attitudes of everyone involved in the
process of producing a ballot. It may be that if the ballot comes back "none
of the above", then we need to try again to come up with a selection of
names to pick from.
    I agree that something new and deciding on it can be very frightening to
people. Some will be afraid that it will lead to more problems.

> Now, I'll grant you that I'm probably not in one of my most positive
> attitudes right now, but from what I've seen and heard, we probably need
> drop the whole thing for a few years (if not more).  It's not worth the
> continued frustration.

Perhaps we need to define what having a regional name is for. A lot of
people see this as a lead into a dreaded subject. Maybe pointing out that
the Northern region has a separate name and has had one for whatever length
of time would do much to calm some fears.

Eirik