SR - GILLI VIRUS ALERT

Lee Cavett catsden at texas.net
Tue Dec 21 17:18:37 PST 1999

Gilli:

YOU HAVE A VIRUS! This sounds like a variant of the W32 worm. Go to
http://www.avertlabs.com/public/datafiles/valerts/vinfo/va10185.asp
for information on this worm and its variants. The one you have is a
recent variation - it chooses a random name from a short list to hide
its payload - panther.exe is only one of several. Anyone who has
received ANY executable files from you in the last few days should view
them with suspicion.

The worm uses your address book to send out emails with its clone
attached. Anyone in your address book is vulnerable; however, the worm
is tailored to Outlook and Outlook Express, and if I recall correctly,
will not work with the Netscape mail client. Some of these worms have
destructive payloads which wipe out data files (particularly MS Office
formats); the payload operates even if the worm cannot replicate.

The above site also contains instructions for manual removal of the worm
if you do not have the McAfee anti-virus software.

I urge everyone on this list to invest in some sort of anti-virus
software - it not only keeps YOU safe, but is also the only responsible
thing to protect your partners. :)

Donal