SR - Interesting Idea.....

ldcharls@swbell.net ldcharls at swbell.net
Wed Feb 24 00:38:59 PST 1999

Bob Dewart wrote:
> We have seven groups in the region: Bjornsborg, Bryn Gwlad, Ffynnon Gath,
> Middleford, Raven's Fort, Shadowlands and Tempio (it would be eight if we
> include Emerald Keep).
>
> There are seven champions that I can think of: A&S, Archery, Rapier,
> Chivalric, Equestrian, Bardic and Children's.
>
> What I suggest is that in a rotational manner each group does one of the
> events each year.

  My personal opinion is that this would be a singularly bad idea, for
the following reasons:
1.  This would require us to make room in the (exceedingly) full kingdom
calendar for seven events, on seven different weekends. This would be a
Herculean task to accomplish, and we'd have to do it EVERY YEAR. I see
two outcomes, some of the champion events can't find dates and get
forgotten, or local groups get squeezed out of having multiple events by
the overstuffed calendar.
2.  Several of these things ought to be able to be done at the same
event. For example, Chivalric and Rapier tourneys ought to be able to
run on the same day, since most fighters won't be trying to do both.
Those eligible for Children's champion won't be old enough to do either
of those, and the A&S champion would be decided by a static display of
works. Likewise, Archery, Equestrian and Bardic would take much less of
a competitor's time than fighting in the lists would.
3.  A Regional Champion event should be a chance for a group to really
show it's stuff. When you're doing it every year, it's pretty hard to
maintain that enthusiasm. Imagine doing a Crown List once a year! Much
better, I think to let a group have some 'down time', and then let them
really show off once in a while.
  I'd prefer to see a single event, or at most two, each year. If we
opted for two, how about have four champions chosen at one, and the rest
at the other? That way, we could lessen the insanity at one event while
still keeping hosting one from being too routine.

Ld Charles macKinnon
Bryn Gwlad