SR - Old Subject

Lee Lemons lalemons at flash.net
Wed Jan 20 19:13:14 PST 1999

Dear Gentles of the Southern Region,

I have read almost every missive concerning Gilli, insignia, etc., that has
been put out over the past few days, and my heart grows heavier and heavier
with every reading.

Why do I, as a member of Stargate, subscribe to the Southern Region List?  Why
am I writing now?  I have many friends who are scribes and insignia makers in
the Southern Region.  I personally care about the Southern Region groups.  What
I'm reading really hurts.

But since I wasn't in on all of this at the beginning, please forgive my
trespassing and let me just speak a few simple words from my point of view.

1)  Insignia and painted charters do not make the person.  It never has and
never will.  The person's actions and sense of honor makes the person.
2)  Insignia and painted charters can help reinforce the moment - that very
special moment- of being called into Court.  I hold my awards and insignia in
special esteem because I can look at them and remember what happened, know that
a scribe spent a lot of loving time on the charter, and someone spent the same
time on the insignia.
3)  By the way, your award charter is in fact a type of legal documentation
that you have received an award.  Vital for proving you received this award if
moving to another Kingdom, or if (cross your fingers, heaven forbid) the OP is
"lost," re-formated, and / or needs to be re-created!!!!  Gee, does this ring
any bells?
4)  Do any of us really want to stop the insignia / charters?  Yes, we can
consider them "niceties" and do without, if needed.  I have worked for three
Crowns as Sable Scroll and have not known any of them to refuse giving an award
due to a lack of insignia or a painted charter.  If they did, then that was
their perogative and who am I to gainsay them?
5)  Speaking about charters and insignia, I personally love the glow of the
recipient when awarded one or both in Court.  I know the hours the scribes and
insignia makers put in were well worth it.  I can't even count the times I've
seen the recipient walk dazedly back to their seat, clutching their insignia
and staring at their award charter.
6)  Passing on your own insignia is truly a wonderous, special gift.  But you
have to have received it, first,  to be able to give it.
7)  Let's say you received an insignia that you think inadequate.  What is
stopping you from trying to submit better?
8)  Let's say you received an insignia that you think inadequate.  Do what many
do - return it with sincere thanks so that it can be recycled, and buy your
own/make your own.  Isn't it the thought that counts?
9)  As for those who have been called into Court but did not recieve an award
charter or insignia, and still don't have them, could easily have contacted the
Sable Scroll for it/them, if the recipient had wanted.  Sable Scrolls and
Crowns try very very very hard to not have this happen, but gosh, we're human
and it does happen.  Not intentionally, truly!!!
10)  Last but not least, we are all entitled to our own thoughts.  We are all
entitled to voice them.  I would have wished some who have been responding
could have:   A) been gentler in their rebukes   B)  given others the benefit
of the doubt as to what they were trying to get across.  Heated words from
heated hearts can do more damage in one minute than an hour of kind words could
possibly cure.  Or, it's easier to hurt / destroy than to help / heal.

Okay, these are my personal thoughts.  So in keeping, please flame me
personally.  I welcome your opinions, nothing will be taken personally.  No
grudges, no bad thoughts, not pointing fingers.  I care very deeply for several
of my Southern friends, old, new, and not met yet, and just felt I had to say
something.

Curstaidh Magorlick
Yes, I'm a Baroness, and yes, I'm Star Signet.  Most importantly, I'm an
Ansteorran.