SR - Old Subject

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jan 20 21:09:18 PST 1999

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Lee Lemons wrote:
> 3) By the way, your award charter is in fact a type of legal
> documentation that you have received an award.  Vital for proving
> you received this award if moving to another Kingdom, or if (cross
> your fingers, heaven forbid) the OP is "lost," re-formated, and / or
> needs to be re-created!!!!  Gee, does this ring any bells?

Dangle a tabard-shaped bait in front of Daniel and he'll strike every
time ...

The Ansteorran Order of Precedence has been lost / re-formatted /
needed to be re-created twice, as I understand it, and I'm told it's
an unholy mess trying to recreate it.  (On the level of "just ream me
with 20 feet of rusty curare-tipped barbed-wire fence AND NO
CRISCO!".  Well, not "ream", but a stronger four-letter word.)

The charter is then extremely handy in providing proof.  However,
there may be three backups:

- old copies of the OP get kept.

- the court report is usually published in the kingdom newsletter.
  I'm sure precedence heralds will accept that as prima facie evidence
  as well.  Local newsletters may help too.  Please, court heralds,
  fill out the court report forms before your court!  Non scriptum non
  est!

- you may get witnesses.  For my AoA, the prince, princess, and court
  herald were all from my group.  The court herald (some here may know
  Duke Eliahu) talked to Dragon Principal Herald, who wrote a little
  letter for me to forward to Zodiacus Herald, Ansteorra's OP herald.
  Granted, that was exceptional, but you may have a baron, baroness,
  or high peer who remembers.

In short: having the charter is useful, but if not, all is not lost.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.