SR - titles, awards, and such ....

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jan 20 08:59:19 PST 1999

Wolf wrote:
> "speaking in tonques" (also known as rennies syndrome)

Somewhat related to "speaking forsoothly", but stronger?

The best advice I heard for trying to speak more periodly was simply
to speak more slowly.  The gentleman said that just by doing that he
got several compliments on his accent!  Then again, that was in
Michigan; perhaps people in Texas, esp. East Texas, are more used to
sloowerr speeech.

In contrast, the "Whithersoever thou goest, there goest I!",
"'perhance' or 'mayhap', but never 'maybe'", and "call my farspeaker
in the dragon and I'll bring the smalls" usages don't work that well.
Like many other performance arts, it's a tightrope act -- one slip and
believability can crash -- and some people can't do it themselves but
can recognize when it's not being done right (e.g., me).

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.