SR - Gang-stewarding events

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 21:24:07 PST 1999

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Thank you, Graf Galen for sharing the information on the Tournaments of
the Nine Worthies.  I have a few questions.  How long ago was the last
such tournament?  Why was the event run as a gang-venture?  What
advantage did co-stewards offer over one steward from a single barony?

As I noted previously, I do not doubt that an event *can* be run by
multiple groups, I just question the wisdom of doing so.  As far as I
can tell, the only rationale for this requirement is distrust.  Someone
in the seneschalate has decided we might try to sneak extra local
(i.e.--non-regional events) events onto the Kingdom calendar under the
aegis of Regional events, thereby supervening the limit on calendar
events.

If we have another rationale, I've yet to hear it (but would really like
to).

As to the idea of using a steward from one area, a gate crew from
another, and perhaps a marshalling team from yet another--yes, I believe
this is doable.  Again, I don't see any advantage in it.  So we've done
it?  What does it prove?  What does it add to the event?  Are we so
pressed for proof that our regional events are truly regional?

Finally, to all the proud ex-soldiers out there,

(1) all your "hua!" shouting, chest-pounding, and assorted appeals to
popular icons will not make the US army a viable model or analogy for a
regional event,

(2) the military has--as one sould was honest enough to admit--never
been known for its fiscal responsibility or financial efficiency, and

(3) the remark about soldiers dying due to *their own* stupidity will no
doubt be a great comfort to the families of the four soldiers who lost
their lives when an improperly secured construction crane dropped its
hook on their passing humvee.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace