SR - Ballot text?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri May 21 09:41:11 PDT 1999

Kief wrote:
> listed randomly and without any markings as to "which is most likely
> to pass"...!! Alphabetical order and any sort of "preference
> marking" bias the vote of those less informed.

"Bias[ing] the vote of those less informed" by giving them
information?  Oh, the horror!

I have four reasons, below, for wanting the name to be registered.

In case people saw my previous message, thought "point-by-point
rebuttal rant ... boooor-ing" (hey, *I* tend to), and skipped it,
my reasons for wanting ordering by period style / likelihood to pass:
- if we do want to register it, preferring names closer to period
  style can save us trouble.
- IF it's just as easy to be period as non-period, THEN we really
  ought to prefer the period way.

I certainly want periodicity (!) info on the ballot!  Removing that
would be suppressing data, practically a mortal sin in my eyes.
I mean, what criteria are people supposed to use to choose?
What should they have available?  *I* want to know all these:
 * Spelling
 * Language
 * Pronunciation
 * Meaning
 * Closeness to period style
Is there anything else that people want to know?

Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> wrote:
> If this is just a name of the Southern Region, there is no need for
> it to pass the College of Heralds.

I can see four reasons.
1.  To make sure nobody else grabs it.
2.  To make sure nobody else has it already, or anything close to it.
3.  To get a sanity check that it *is* a period-style name.

> If on the other hand, there is desire to continue on to possible
> Principality,

4.  The selected name becomes the most likely P-word name, so it
    should be reserved against possible need.

I was considering suggesting that the top 3 candidates get registered,
in case we change our minds later.  That's a little safer but also a
little greedier.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***