SR - Inter-Baronial Anthropology (long)

C.L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Fri Nov 19 07:48:35 PST 1999

Daniel asked:

>There is only one get-together in any given group in 6 weeks?
>In Bryn Gwlad, the ballots went to the weekly fighter
>practices.

Here you are running into an inter-baronial anthropology issue.  All baronies
are not alike.  Each has its own unique culture and activities, and in many
ways this is conditioned by the average age of the members.

Bjornsborg doesn't have a wide baronial attendance at fighter practice.  On
a good day you'll have 2-3 fighters, and a handful of other folks.  Rarely are
there more then 10 people present.  Fighter practice is also on the weekend
(Sunday now, though long ago it used to be Saturday) and so events can conflict
with attendance there.

There are some guild-type meetings in Bjornsborg, two I know of being Entertainer's
Group and the Bjornsborg Fiber Arts Group.  These are not highly structures
activities, and are usually not weekly meetings -- more often they're monthly.

The one place where you can count on getting a good proportion of the barony
in attendance is at events.  You can get a more or less representative turn
out at business meetingas as well, which are held once per month, and often
have pressing and important business as their focus -- either preparations for
an event, debriefing from a prior event, etc.

Bjornsborg also has an older average age among its members.  There are lots
of Bjornsborgers with 15 or more years in the Society, and even the newer members
tend to be adults out of college with homes, mortgages, children, demanding
jobs, etc.  This limits the amount of time these members have to attend multiple
meetings or weekly functions.  This was different 20 years ago, by the way,
when we were mostly college age or early 20's.  We tended to all turn up at
fighter practices and do A&S there as well as fighting, for instance.

This is in stark contrast to Bryn Gwlad.  In BG, the bulk of the populace attends
fighter practice at least a couple of times each month.  Relatively fewer people
attend business meetings, because announcements and lots of business get conducted
at fighter practice.  BG fighter practice is also held on a weeknight.

So Daniel, the only realistic venue for performing a ballot would be the Bjornsborg
Business Meeting.

::GUNNORA::