SR - Ballot results

Kevin Varner KVarner at planview.com
Fri Nov 19 08:33:26 PST 1999

I have read with interest the various messages regarding the Naming Ballot
results - BOTH sets. I admit that I am disappointed with the returns - BOTH
sets. I understand that things go awry in the mails - BOTH kinds. At Bryn
Gwlad's 20th Anniversary Faire over 100 attended that claimed Bryn Gwlad as
their "home group". Over 220 claimed one of the groups in the Southern
Region on the gate sign-in sheets. That is out of 375+ attending. 94 ballots
came in. Yes, some groups did not respond - due one reason or another. One
the previous ballot only 80 came in.

One each occasion it was decried that this was not a representative response
from the region. Unfortunately, it is. Whatever reason certain groups did
respond or have the chance to respond is moot - it is history now. Just
looking at Bryn Gwlad's numbers - over 100 attended Baronial Faire and only
33+/- ballots were returned. I sadly feel that this is also a symptom of the
apathy displayed by the American people in our democratic system. In the
Austin area it is considered a good voter turnout if 10% show up at the
polls. The populace appears to be content to allow less than 10% of the
voters dictate to the rest of them. What do we have to do to get people
stirred up? I don't believe that the SCA needs to get on the political band
wagon everytime a decision by "popular consent" needs to be made. What is
causing the apathy? Anyone who is offended by what I have said, please email
me privately. I had the flu earlier in the week and my brain is not fully
back on-line yet.;)

However, if apathy is the problem, what is the solution?

Duncan MacConacher
Bryn Gwlad