SR - Melee practice Sunday morning after Ravensfort Defender

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Tue Sep 14 16:40:49 PDT 1999

Greetings, everyone:

A couple of weekends ago we had a good melee practice on Sunday morning after
Seawinds Defender. The turnout was a little light, but we had enough to field
two 6-7 man teams against each other. We practiced our skills at open field and
barrier battles, and learned many valuable lessons.

Last Sunday morning after Stargate Baronial we attempted another melee practice.
I say "attempted" because "we held a war and nobody came". Several of the
Stargate/Loch team were on the "injured reserve" after the challenging list
fought on Saturday, so I understand why our team was a little light. But I don't
understand why we had _no one else_ to practice against.

Perhaps it was because we didn't get the word out well enough. With that thought
in mind, I'm sending out this message to promote a melee practice this coming
Sunday morning after Ravensfort Defender.

If you're planning to bring a team to practice your war skills, please reply to
this message. I'd love to see you on the field Sunday morning! The more
practices we get in between now and Gulf Wars, the better off we'll be.

If Gulf Wars seems far away in the distant future, think again: if we practice
together about once a month between now and then (which seems a trifle
optimistic), we'll have 4-5 practices. How many practices do you think it will
take for us to be able to move and fight as a unit, instead of as a mob? Heroes
on the field are great; but history tells us that a trained 20-man unit will
beat 20 fighters acting as individuals (or an untrained mob) in an open field
battle just about every time. Just ask our friends in Northkeep! *grin*

Well, enough of the "soap box". There's plenty of time for that between now and
March. *smile*

Seriously, do reply if you're planning to bring a team on Sunday morning. If
there isn't enough interest, that's ok (really!). But I'd just as soon know
beforehand, rather than ask our team to haul all their stuff to the Stones just
to discover, again, that we have only ourselves to train against.

Yours,
Michael Silverhands