SR - 2nd time around

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Sun Sep 19 22:12:47 PDT 1999

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Bob Dewart <gilli at seacove.net> wrote:
> It appears that only first place votes were counted.  ... Or, did I
> miss something in the thread?

You missed something, or it wasn't explained to you, or something.
The counting procedures were in the last Lion's Tale, but not on the
ballot itself.  The text I wrote in the LT:

    The WSFS counting rule: "Votes shall first be tallied by the
    voter's first choices.  If no majority is then obtained, the
    nominee who places last in the initial tallying shall be
    eliminated and the ballots listing it as first choice shall be
    redistributed on the basis of those ballots' second choices. This
    process shall be repeated until a majority-vote winner is
    obtained."

    [The example I used was voting for the color of a longship sail.]
    Suppose my color choices were: #1, diaper; #2, hot pink;
    everything else blank.  In the first round of counting,
    diaper-colored happens to get the fewest number of first-place
    votes, so it is eliminated (no pun intended).  My #1 choice will
    now be ignored.  On the second round, my vote is counted as being
    for hot pink.  Son of a gun: now that diaper's been washed out,
    hot pink now happens to get the fewest votes, so it's also
    dumped. (Intentional.)  On the third round, I have no indicated
    choices left, so my vote doesn't go to anything.

In the first vote, several ballots went to new piles: the first pile
was for their first-place vote, and then when that pile was eliminated
and the ballots distributed they went to various other piles (or the
pile on the floor if they had no remaining choices), and later maybe
to a third pile, or a fourth, or ...

Daniel de Lincolia
--
                   *** NEW HOME E-MAIL ADDRESS ***