SR - Southern Regional Festival

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Apr 3 08:41:54 PDT 2000

Brian & Pam Martin (twinoak at texas.net) said something that sounded like:
> I do have one question, and I'd like people's opinions.

Like you would be able to stop us from doing that.

> While there was a
> core group of people who worked to make the event happen, there seemed to be
> a great deal of apathy from a large portion of the regional population.

I am very shocked at this statement. This morning I even commented as
such to my wife when I first read your message.

The reason I am shocked is that I am not the first person to get to say
it. Since it was a great event, I didn't think any one else would notice
the little problems with this being a "regional" event.

Some groups showed up in mass. Others had little or *no* showing. Some
  of the ones I particularly noted missing were those touting our
  regional identity and desire for a principality.

Some individuals worked their butts off. Others did little or *no* work.
  Those that I saw working are the ones that *always* work, even if it's
  not their own groups event.

The autocrat had to herd cats more than should have happened. We had
  people/groups volunteer for things and it appeared that either they
  dropped the ball or did not understand everything properly. This may
  be a simple problem of improper deligation or communication, but it
  seemed to be more than that.

> Now, just in case people misread that question, I in no way think that the
> event failed. Quite the contrary; I think that the event went off very well
> especially considering the weather forcast and I'm looking forward to an SR
> event next year.

I think it was a wonderful event and enjoyed myself. I do not think it
was a success as a "regional" event due to the issues above. It was a
success in showing that those people who work hard from the different
groups can work together, which is not the same thing for me.

Hopefully if we do this again we can have more regional unity to pull
it off. This may lead to the regional identity that I don't think we
have now.

Ciao,