[Spit-project] clay-question for pug-request for Gunthar

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 03:46:44 PDT 2007

I can get all the food safe clay you want from Armadillo clay, dug right here in the Austin area.
  Bring me your doc for this clay cooking stuff..I'm absolutely fascinated.
  Hey Pug...have you ever done this?
  I appreciate that you are going to use Cornish game hens, Gunthar...I'm not sure how much skin and feathers I can stand...LOL.
  gwyneth

Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
  >My clay is food safe glazed or not, but you're going to have to teach
>me this food wrapped in clay thing...clay is dirt, you realize that
>right?LOL....

I do worry about anything commercially available about safety. For example,
many of the lovely pottery and pewter works from Mexico are not food save
because of the glazes. I need to get a source of decent clay to wrap the
birds in.

And yes, cooked in dirt. This is an ancient method of cookery in which small
animals such as fish, birds, hedgehogs, etc... would be wrapped in clay with
fur and feathers and quills still intact, and then baked in the coals. Once
done the clay was broken off and the fur, feathers, quills, skin, et al
would
be removed with the clay and leave the meat to be eaten.

I have decided to change my King's College class from making a full meal to
demonstrating various methods of cooking birds outdoors. So I'm planning
to cook chickens on the spit, in a potjie, spun on strings, boiled and
friccasseed.
And then do like Cornish Game Hens wrapped in cheesecloth and then covered
in clay and baked. While that is being done I'll probably prepare a couple
of
other dishes like griddlebreads and a pudding (to be cooked in the chicken
broth) just to pass the time. I like that idea better than the whole meal
preparation. What do you think?

I had a lot of fun at Guardian of the Gauntlet. Even though it was cold and
very windy.

Gunthar