[Spit-project] Idea about firebowls

Helen Schultz meisterin02 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 15:08:11 PDT 2007

It depends, Fredric, on what you want to cook on your spit.  My first one was only about 3.5' long spit pole, and the uprights are only about 3' long.  I think they are all made out of 1/2" wrought iron stock.  It works fine for small stuff... even got a 40 pound pig on it a couple times.

You just have to decide on what you want to have and transport.  You could also start out with a commerically made tripod grill (the ones with the grill on chains hanging from the center of the tripod), and work from there.

Do a Google search on SCA blacksmiths and see if you can find one or two who sell the tripods that can become a spit (meaning, they come apart).

Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
Middle Kingdom

The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo