[Spit-project] Spit materials

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Apr 18 14:02:37 PDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Most pieces stay
> >rust free especially the ones used the most. I have a box for the utensils
> >and small pieces. I've made heavy duty bags to carry the rest but they seem
> >not to be used all the time. I also have pieces that were never cured and I
> >just clean them and put over a fire to clean the rust then oil them down
> >and
> >repeat the process until they are clean and rust free.
> >Regina
>
> First off, thank you Phlip for the introduction to wrought iron. See, this
> isn't my area and I have no idea about this stuff. I really enjoy having
> folk like you on to teach us all. This is what I'd love this list to become.
>
> And, yeah, one of my questions was about what material to use
> because I really don't want to have to take care of it all the time
> and have to store it all in the garage. I would like to prevent even
> the surface layer oxidation as Phlip mentioned because I don't like the
> look of rusty equipment and I also don't want the rust to get all over
> everything.

Well, once it stabilizes it won't. But, wrought iron is also very
difficult for most people to work with- it looks like steel but it
just doesn't handle like steel.

> Of course I'd have to talk to whoever will build this for me to see
> what materials would be used and how it would be treated.

Most smiths will go with what the customer wants, unless it's
downright silly/dangerous.

> At the risk of sounding blasphemous, would some kind of paint
> work? Like Rustoleum? It would have to be able to stand up to the
> heat of a cooking fire, of course.

I wouldn't. Too many odd chemicals. Standard rec from most smiths I
know is to either season it with oil, or to apply beeswax, if you need
it to be food safe. I wouldn't use bluing or greying either, simply
because of the chemicals involved. Some are pretty poisonous, others
have known long term carcinogenic effects, which isn't a problem on a
firearm, but could be a distinct problem if you ingested it.

Wrought iron seasons too, btw.

When I build my final one, that's what I'll be building it out of, but
for your purposes, I'd use seasoned mild steel and just plan on
reseasoning it regularly.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Priorities:

HIPAA Penalties

42USC1320d-6 Wrongful disclosure of individually identifiable health information

(a) Offense

A person who knowingly and in violation of this part-

(1) uses or causes to be used a unique health identifier;

(2) obtains individually identifiable health information relating to
an individual; or

(3) discloses individually identifiable health information to another person,

shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).

(b) Penalties

A person described in subsection (a) shall-

(1) be fined not more than $50,000, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both;