[Spit-project] Long Member Introduction & Questions

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 16:50:06 PDT 2007

Hello, Urtatim! I lurk here and have seen your posts
on at least one other list I lurk on. :-)

I went to Pennsic last year as a vegetarian for the
first time. Alas, I have no idea how to cook for only
one or two people, so it was a good thing I had
campmates who were interested in what I was eating and
helped me take care of the leftovers. Two of the
dishes I cooked were lentil and it was just fine. I
didn't try to eat them in the heat of the midday but
by 5pm the heaviness was not a problem. (We eat then
so the cleanup crew can finish the dishes while there
is still light.)

The one thing that really surprised me was how long it
took to boil water. I once cooked for three weeks for
a family of four on a hibachi, including spaghetti,
but somehow on the big fire it just took a loooong
time. I was cooking on a grate over a shared wood
fire, burned to coals, and I should have borrowed more
fire and built it higher than I did. If you can manage
to practice a bit ahead of time, I'm sure you'll have
little trouble.

Good luck!

Matilda
Carolingia