[Spit-Project] We got to use our new portable hearth this weekend.

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:50:05 PDT 2007

Although we got it before Pennsic, we haven't had the chance to use our new firepit until last weekend.

Some problems were created in that there were no setup instructions with it. So it took a bit and an email to the maker to figure it all out. I also don't like that it has to be pounded into the ground to work. The metal tempered and bent a bit when water was poured on the coals but the box was still able to fold almost flat.

Good points, it looks great! It is very sturdy once it is pounded into the ground. The firebox holds quite a lot of wood/charcoal. There are hooks on the legs for spits or to raise and lower the grills. Poker and shovel were included. There are nice channels to prevent water from pooling in the firebox. The firebox is rather shallow so that the fire can be enjoyed when just used as a raised campfire. The system packs really flat. We just need to get another long bag for the bars.

Elizabeth took some photos both in the day when it was constructed and at night with the fire blazing. We'll be posting those later.

On another note, if you have a Costco account, they offer REAL charcoal for a competitive price against that manufactured ash. It burns hot and clean and is really nice.

This list has been quiet.....too quiet.....so, what have YOU done lately?

Yers,

Gunthar