[Spit-Project] Some questions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 8 16:27:10 PDT 2008

Dan asked:
<<< 1:I understand that cast iron is late period, so my bake kettle
isn't really appropriate (sob!), so what, if anything, *would* be,
for outdoor baking? >>>

An oven. Generally a mass oven, depending upon a mass of stone, brick
or earth being pre-heated before the food is put in, and then
continuing baking as the oven gradually cools using the retained
heat.  For various reasons most ovens were built outdoors.

For more info, see this file in the FOOD-UTENSILS section of the
Florilegium:
ovens-msg        (104K)  1/29/08    Medieval ovens.

There were smaller, pottery and other ovens which were used which
required a continuing supply of heat. I suspect that may be closer to
what you had in mind. I do have this file on these, but I'm afraid it
has a mixture of modern and medieval type ovens in it.   This is in
the SCA-CAMPING section;
camp-ovens-msg    (58K)  6/25/06    Small period and SCA camp ovens.

<<< 2: How early are dangle spits? >>>

What is your definition of a "dangle spit'? Other than something
which might show up in a courtesy manual? :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com