[Stargate] The other "N" word (was The Elephant in the Room)

Maria scarlettmb at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 12 20:45:31 PST 2007

I'd have to say it would depend on the person whether they are a maven or a
nazi.

A maven is someone who will NICELY tell you that you're not in period garb.

A nazi is someone who gets in your face and is nasty when they tell you.

I've met both.  I don't mind being told by a maven that my garb isn't quite
period, but the first time I got told by a nazi that I wasn't in period garb
was my first event up in Pennsylvania.  And that woman totally turned me off
from the SCA.  When I came to Houston and went to the Ren Fest and met the
people here in the SCA I actually wondered if it was the same group - that's
how drastic the difference was from Pennsylvania to here.

Think about it.  I know most of the people around here wouldn't talk to a
newcomer like that, but I've met the nazis and believe me you don't want to.

Maria