[Stargate] Two Haflas at Bordermarch Autumn Melees!!

Steve Scott (Dietrich) dietrich.strobelbart at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 10:50:17 PST 2010

Yes, you read that right, there will be two Haflas at BAM this year!  One on
Friday night and another one on Saturday night.  There will not be any formal
competition this year, just a fun excuse to dance and drum.  Musicians with
other forms of Middle Eastern instruments will, of course, also be very
welcome!  The Friday night Hafla will be just that; a fun drumming and dancing
party with refreshments provided for the dancers and musicians.  The Saturday
night Hafla will also be a fun party, with refreshments for the dancers and
musicians; however, Their Excellencies Santiago and Elisabeth will have gifts of
largess (donated by HE Gwendolen McIver) to hand out to the dancers on Saturday
night. It is my understanding that there are a variety of different types and
qualities of largess, and that there will be some attempt made to reward those
dancers who demonstrate more skill and enthusiasm accordingly, and that
performance on both nights will be taken into account.  Drummers and other
musicians will also be rewarded on Saturday night for their skill and enthusiasm
during both Haflas.

Both Haflas will be held in the BFT.  If you don't know where that is, just ask
someone, or follow the sound of the drums.  ;-)

The primary purpose of these Haflas will be just to have fun, and promote
participation in and enjoyment of Middle Eastern music and dancing.  Dancers and
musicians of all skill levels are invited to participate, but anyone who is
found to be disruptive or unable to hold a good beat will be politely asked to
bow out.  There may be a few loaner drums, but I cannot say how many or what
quality they will be.  Any drummer who is a beginner, who would like to learn
enough to have fun participating in the Hafla, is welcome to search me out for
some instruction during the day.  Just look for the tall gentleman with silver
hair and a blue metal drum.  If I can't help you, I will try to help you find
someone who can.

Hoping to see you all there!

Yours in Service,

Herr Dietrich Strobelbart