ST - Newsletter - Gulf War

Jann Mays jannmays at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:50:21 PST 2000

Ches,

We'd like to contribute a bit to the experiences at the Gulf War.  We're
sure our fighters can tell you more about the battles and numbers, but we'd
like to comment on the large-scale, nifty siege weapons we saw.  We even saw
a giant crossbow that was so big that it barely fit in the bed of a pickup
truck!!!  I was told that Ld. Pierce got real close to one of the siege
weapons on the field (between battles I'm sure) to scrutinize its
construction.  He was very impressed.

Now, from a woman's point of view, there were over a hundred merchants
there!!  With better wares than I have ever seen before at any event or
Renfaire!  I am definitely saving up my shopping money for next year!  And
next year's the 10th anniversary? I bet there will be more!!!  And trim!!!
My goodness -- several merchants had the most beautiful trims (some from
Europe) at fantastic prices!!  I paid as low as 80 cents a yard for some
extremely beautiful trims!!!

As for revels, there was a great one on Thursday night in front of the
fortress with brasiers blazing!!  There were two gargoyles spewing, believe
it or not, ... kamakazies!!!!!  After setting up camp, we decided at 2am to
see if the revel was still going on!!  At 2am there was still over a hundred
people there!!!  I heard it was a Porto party!!  Vivat the portos for a
great revel!  Another great revel was the dance revel on Saturday night!
Though it was raining, everyone stayed dry in the main site cabin where the
dancing was held. It was so popular, that "the Royals" decided to extend the
length of the revel!  It went past midnight.  One of the highlights was when
this suspiciously familiar dance instructor was teaching some 30 or so
people a new dance.  He gave instruction, step left, step right, etc., and
then one of the barons said, "Ok, raise your hand if you think he's making
this up as he goes!"  It brought down the house, everyone in the place was
laughing.  Ultimately, after the instruction, when they actually did the
dance to the live music, it was quite lovely and everyone applauded the
instructor.  One other comment about the revel -- the musicians added a new
aspect to the "Hole in the Wall" dance.  The first verse was sung, then the
lovely familiar tune was played followed with a verse that was ... meowed!!!
  Yes, think of the Meow Mix commercial sung to the Hole in the Wall tune!!!
  There was a "woofed" verse later, and near the end, a "quacked" verse.
Everyone was cracking up through the whole dance!!  Or was that "quacking
up?"  Oh, sorry.  Anyway, it was great!!

We had a great time and are looking forward to next year!

Gabrielle & Pierce