ST - Warlord Site Tokens

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Tue Feb 29 19:31:50 PST 2000

Okay, so far we have Lavinia, Chiara (Ches), Erc (Roy), Suzanna, Lisette
interested in working on site tokens.

Of the suggestions so far, I think we have ruled out the coins.  We seem
to have some interest in 1) polymer clay (Fimo, except I use Sculpy
instead) beads
2) stamped leather roundels
3) wire finger rings

The leather we have done in the past, so we have a stamp for that.  And
previously the leather was dyed or painted all one color, not painted in
design - all one color would be faster.  The ones I have from past events
are kind of large - I would prefer some smaller, if available.  I have 1
acorn stamp, that is kind of hard to use.  The last time I was doing
leather with the juvenile delinquents, I think the rounds ran about 80
cents apiece.  Lavinia, can you get a price quote on these in quantities
of 800 to 1000 (allow a little for mistakes) and what sizes they come in?
 Please?  I wonder what amount of time these would take - wet leather,
stamp, dye, punch hole, string?  Any estimates?

I THINK we could do enough beads with about $60 in polymer clay.  I have
a specific design in mind that I have done before.  I think Their
Excellencies may have a few examples in the largesse box.  These are fun
to do.  The kids and I have turned out over 100 beads in about 3 or 4
hours time, so I think the labor is not too bad on these.

The twisted wire finger rings I am thinking about are fairly fast to make
up.  Twist the wire around a mandrel, cut it off, then wrap the ends a
couple of times around the shank.  Beat a couple of times with a wooden
mallet.  These are similar to rings that have been found in Roman, Norse,
and Saxon contexts that I know of.  These might be more time consuming
than the beads, but still not too bad.  If we don't do these for Warlord,
I might think about doing them for Artisan...

I *absolutely* cannot meet until after Irish fest this weekend.  Wed 3/8
or Thu 3/9 I could get together.  I don't know who all is going to War -
I am not, so could meet that week if everyone else is staying home too.
Or perhaps we could meet briefly after business meeting on Tues 3/7???
Most of us usually show up for that - Lavinia, could you make it down for
our business meeting Tues night at 7:30?  It is at La Madelaine on
Beltline road just past the Dallas North Tollway (across Beltline from
Prestonwood Mall (or where the Mall used to be).  I can try to bring
examples.....

Suzanna.