ST - Walmart

GeekGrrl geekgrrl at geekgrrl.org
Sat Oct 28 17:44:50 PDT 2000

The original concern was that Wal-Mart -is- testing out providing -only-
pre-cut lengths of cloth, shrink-wrapped, and eliminating the bolts and
cutting boards. This is an actual trial taking place in several
stores. However, in a matter of days the concern over pre-measured,
pre-cut fabrics took a wild leap and some people became possessed of the
notion that Wal-Mart was eliminating fabrics all together. The actual
petition posted is to show Wal-Mart that the signers object to
pre-measured, pre-cut, shrink-wrapped fabrics which may (or may not) fail
to fulfill the needs they have for yardage that they currently purchase
from Wal-Mart.

The original objection was to buying more fabric then one needs because of
pre-packaging, not being able to feel the hand of the goods due to
shrink-wrap (or other sealed wrapping), and/or not being able to get the
lengths one needs for a project if said project calls for long yardages of
-uncut- fabric.

I, personally, envision a sea of poly-cotton prints if this
becomes standardpractice at Wal-Mart, and I shudder. Through the
petition and letter-writing to Wal-Mart, those of us with concerns are
trying to tell the company that they are going to loose more money then
they think paying a person to cut cloth costs them now if they turn over
all stores to this 'economy' method.

Sunnifa Eiriksdottir