ST - Just a simple question

Patrick Bureau pbureau at home.com
Sun Apr 1 14:17:23 PDT 2001

On Sunday 01 April 2001 10:34 pm, you wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question that has been posed to me.  What do you think of when you
> think of "Steppes Guilds"?  I am not really sure how to answer this, so I
> pose the question to this list.  I am certainly not an expert concerning
> this topic, so I ask your help.  I appreciate your response and will let
> you know what I come up with later on in the week (or next).  Thank you for
> your time.
> Krzysztof Kopernik

Well I am unsure of the exact definition of a "guild", but historically
speaking, a guild (as much experience I know of this, in mead brewing through
the ages) was a group (read co-op) of people that banded together to provide
a method to centralized, organize, inform and represent the majority of the
"people" of that are in that field, to a certain point, standardizing the
field.

The Brewing Guilds were the ones that decided it was cheaper to produce Ales,
beers and wines (because of the cost of honey) and mass produced it through
the ages and basically "Mead" became a rarer product. They also controlled
the quality and receipes of the time.

I know this might not completly inform you on the subject of Guilds but I
beleive that even though a warrior guild, or archery guild or equestrian
guild might be a little more varied and or profound than a brewing guild.

I beleive in essence the reality of it remains that the purpose of a guild is
really to provide, Information, support, research in that feild, and spirit.

------
Patrick Bureau
aka
Lord Patric de Long Coeur