ST - Fighter practice Discussion

Kellie Hardy khemail at swbell.net
Thu Apr 19 08:24:25 PDT 2001

Hail Steppes!

I have refrained from commentary until now in order to see what folks
had to say, without being influenced by Our comments.

You are all my heroes!

    I sit here with tears welling in my eyes, witness to the care and
concern with which you regard your Barony.   I cannot tell you how
gratifying it is to "see" the passion you have for the group, each
other, and the SCA.  You have raised many well-reasoned, thoughtful
points not only about fighter practice, but the life of the Barony in
general.  It encourages me so much to know you all are thinking about
these things.  It is up to us to use this dialogue as a launching pad
for action--our baronial family is only as healthy as we make it.  Every
person has a role to play in that effort.
    I want to commend you all as well, for the polite and positive tone
with which this discussion has been maintained.  We know all too well
that Flagpole Hill is something of a "sacred cow" to the Steppes, and
were a bit wary that charged emotions about possibly making a
substantial change to one of the group's traditions would make civil
dialogue a challenge.  You have made us proud once again!
    I have seen multiple postings from several people on this topic, but
none from some whom I would have expected a comment.  I want to
encourage all of you to come to Populace tonight, to make your voices
heard.  Please post here, too, but we really want to talk to you in
person.  There are lots of things to talk about tonight besides fighter
practice--please be prompt so that we may squeeze in as much as
possible.  I am bringing a ham casserole (Easter dinner leftovers); who
else will bring something to share?
    Thank you, Steppes, for your courage and passion and energy.  Pass
this on to folks not part of this forum.  Help them participate.  It is
YOUR Barony.

For Steppes and Crown,

Lady Steppes