ST - New Idea

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 22 11:55:00 PDT 2001

> In reading the missive by d mja, I felt that it was not threatening.
> Please, some of you re-read it again and realize that it was written in a
> non-threatening manner and should require a non-threatening response.

Since Gabrielle wrote in response to my message, I reply:

I was not trying to write a threatening response, and I am sorry you took it
so.  Maybe it was my challenge that anybody who feels that strongly about
something should be able to sign their name to it.  I realized the person
claimed to be trying to offer a solution, but that does not excuse
anonymity.

I did not think the original message was threatening, just very naive.
Despite having lived many places, as the person said, s/he has no apparent
idea what it takes to found and sustain a group.  That is why I noted that
there WAS a regular, weekly, weeknight fighter practice in Plano until a
year or so ago.  (Averial, when did you move out?)

Having a group get together anywhere, anytime, on whatever basis, to hold
fighter practice, is no big deal.  Being organized enough to function as an
independent SCA group *is* a big deal.  It sounded as if the original writer
was offering a glib answer without realizing the amount of work involved in
fulfilling that suggestion.  That is why I recommended the person to
specific sections of Corpora, so that s/he could read the requirements for
different groups.

I have lived in areas where there are multiple fighter practices, and have
attended more than one fighter practice in a week.  I found that very often,
different people come to the different practices, even though a core may
attend more than one, and you learn different things.  So I have no problems
with multiple practices, and I have no problem with practices being in
different locations or moving to achieve better accommodations.

I do have a problem with someone who apparently thinks the way to answer
questions about whether to move a fighter practice is to start a new group.
Starting a fighter practice would be a MUCH cleaner solution.

                                                ---= Morgan