[Steppes] brewers read this -- all other be envious....

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Aug 8 11:37:09 PDT 2001

Patrick J. Cuccurello (pat at adtelusa.com) said something that sounded like:
> I am forwarding you missive to Master Pug.  I believe he might have that
> information handy from discussions we had in trying to form a brewers guild.
> We researched this pretty heavily about a year ago.
>
> **Pug, you happen to have this handy?

Good Morning,

  Try the following:

http://www.pug.net/~pug/Round_Table.html

  You'll have to scroll down since I haven't earmarked the relevent law
  sections. (This is from 1998 but my recent look into this shows that it
  hasn't changed.)

  As well *all* distilling, even for perfumes, requires a permit from the
  BATF. The costs start at $500 per year for human consumable alcohol.
  I couldn't easily find the cost for the actual application filling.

  For the drinkable alcohol take a look at:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1

  For the denatured (ie. non-consumable) alcohol take a look at:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/spirits.htm#s5
  as well as:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/alctob_pub/5150-3.htm

  I believe it is  true that you only have to pay tax if you intend to
  sell it, but you still have the yearly $500 (plus filing fee) cost

  To a *maximum* of 200 gallons.

Ciao,