[Steppes] brewers read this -- all other be envious....

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Aug 9 05:07:46 PDT 2001

>> To a *maximum* of 200 gallons.
> How do they keep track of your 200 gallons to make sure you don't go
> over that?

  From talking to the nice little old BATF agent on the phone I can say
  off the books:

They don't.

  This is in there in order to prevent say a "frat house" from brewing
  1000 gallons of alcohol. It's only if you get *way* over the limit that
  they even care. (Sorta like being caught speeding. You can usually get
  away with 5 miles over, but rarely with 20.)

  I do keep a record of my most of my batches and there is a sticker
  on each carboy with what it is and when it started. This year I'm
  not even close and I just sent 35 gallons off to Pennsic and took 15
  gallons to Gulf War. My typical year has me at about 75-100 gallons.

  Btw, I have only in one year of my ~10 years of brewing gotten close
  to the 200 gallon limit in a single year. (180 gallons if I remember
  right.) That is a *lot* of booze. To give perspective, the water
  cooler bottles that many people have at work are 5 gallons. That means
  I had 36 of those full at one point during the year brewing something
  in it. (Of course I was head of brewers guild at the time.)

Ciao,