[Steppes] Newbie and Armor

Mike Catron meggiddo at netzero.net
Wed Jun 27 23:23:11 PDT 2001

Hi Charles,

My name is Mike (mundane) and within the SCA is Michael of the Fray. The
baronial loaner armor will be at the park in Carrollton on Sunday. If
you will show up around 2 PM, we get see about getting you into some
armor. At least get you started in learning how to fight heavy.

What I suggest that you bring is personal protection (a cup) at the bare
minimum, also if you have them, elbow and knee pads - these pads can be
volley ball or street hockey type of pads.

In addition, there should be a number of individuals who do make their
own armor and can help answer any of your questions. Plus, pointing you
in the right direction in acquiring armor at decent prices. Some have
workshops and are willing to help someone new just starting out, like
yourself. They helped me when I first started.

The first step, is the one you just made by asking, now take the second
step and come join the fighters on Sunday at the park.

The directions to the park in Carrollton:

If coming from the South, West or North (Denton area) of Carrollton.
Make your best way to I-35E. Take the Sandy Lake/Whitlock exit off of
I-35E. Go to the light. Sandy Lake road is the left and Whitlock is to
the right.

Make a right at the light and you will be on Whitlock road. The road
will change names from Whitlock to Keller Springs some time later. It is
the same road. You are heading east at this point away from I-35E.

You will cross two sets of railroad tracks. The first set will be
shortly after making the turn at the light from the frontage road onto
Whitlock. The second set will be past Josey Lane.

Once past the second set of railroad tracks, the next light you come to
will be Keller Springs and Kelly. Make a left hand turn and you are now
on Kelly.

Follow Kelly, you are now going north. The park is 1/4 mile on your
right.

If coming from the East or North (McKinney area) Either take the tollway
or HWY 75.

If coming down the tollway, exit at the Trinty Mills exit and make a
right. You will be traveling east at this point. You take Trinty Mills
west to Marsh. Make a left onto Marsh and travel down to Keller Springs,
which should be the second light.

Make a right onto Keller Springs and take it to Kelley. Follow Kelly,
you are now going north. The park is 1/4 mile on your right.

If coming by way of HWY 75, take 635 going west. Stay on 635 until you
reach the Webs Chapel exit. Exit off of 635 onto Webs Chapel, make a
right at the light. You are now on Webs Chapel, heading north.

Webs Chapel will dead end into Beltline Road. Make a left onto Beltline
Road, heading west. At the next light, make a right onto Kelly and
follow Kelly north to the park. Will cross a set of railroad tracks and
cross over Keller Springs.

Follow Kelly, you are now going north. The park is 1/4 mile on your
right.

Michael of the Fray