[Steppes] Sunday fighter practice

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 12 08:46:42 PDT 2002

Cathy, you missed these for Flagpole Hill (they were in an earlier email:
  * large enough space to play
  * large amount of shade
  * bathrooms
  * parking
  * archery
  * equestrian

Also, the "unsavory character" aspect was handled on the evening news a few
weeks ago and they have "beefed up" security in the area.  Also, by bringing
up the subject publicly in a week-long news broadcast, those "unsavory
characters" would tend to stay away from the area.  (that used to be a
concern of mine, too).  I live in Carrollton and I really wish that Mary
Head park were up to better standards shade-wise and with lesser non-sca
people under the picnic pavilion.  I agree that it has nicer bathrooms and
it is in a good neighborhood.  But, because of the higher location of the
fighting field and so much grass and shade, Flagpole Hill is cooler,
breezier and more gathering friendly.

Mes deux centimes!
Gabrielle

>From: Catherine Williams <cathywms at yahoo.com>
>To: steppes at ansteorra.org
>Subject: Re: [Steppes] Sunday fighter practice
>Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:22:32 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Carrollton park:
>Allows and is safe for combat archery
>Handicap friendly
>playground for kids
>bathrooms
>nice neighborhood
>No shade
>
>Flag Pole Hill:
>Shade
>Not handicap friendly
>unsavory characters known to go there
>
>I may be missing some issues, but that is what I have
>gathered from postings so far.  Please feel free to
>add to this.  (I'm a big list and pro/con person!  I
>think it's a better way to look at all of the issues
>with full knowledge and open eyes.)
>
>Concerning the matter of distance for people to
>travel, there are some fighters who already travel 30
>min. to an hour to come to practice.  For some of
>them, this is a shorter distance than driving to Flag
>Pole Hill--one fighter would even be closer to Elfsea
>practice if the FP moved.  Therefore, I think distance
>to practice is a moot point.  Not everyone can be
>close to practice.  That is just a reality we must
>accept and I don't think we should base moving or
>staying on it.  Some fighter will be disappointed
>however we decide.  Oh well.
>
>As for fighters whose primary weapon is the bow (aka
>archers) making it to FP, Carrollton offers the option
>of combat archery practice, as does Veteran's park in
>Arlington.  Moving to Flag Pole Hill would negate this
>option that archers now have.  (Unless they want to
>drive to Elfsea.)
>
>I agree that fighter practice is for fighters.  If
>equestrians would like to hold a practice at Flag Pole
>Hill, I don't think they need to tag it on to fighter
>practice (partly because I think that would limit
>fighter's options for parks).
>
>There ya go, my 3 cents.  (Since I tend to be rather
>verbose at times...)
>

>=====
>"Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...
>they did it by killing all those who opposed them."

" Le Bonheur est une trajectoire et non une destination.
ALORS : Travaille comme si tu n'avais pas besoin d'argent.
Aime comme si jamais personne ne t'avait fait souffrir.
ET Danse comme si personne ne te regardait !! "